This Kashmiri-style ‘Khatte Baingan’ recipe will make you fall in love with brinjal
When we talk about Kashmiri cuisine, the mind often conjures images of aromatic Mutton Rogan Josh, succulent Yakhni, flavourful Rista, and the delicate meatballs of Goshtaba. However, the culinary heritage of Kashmir extends far beyond these celebrated meat dishes. There is also a vibrant tapestry of vegetarian delights that highlight the region’s varied cooking techniques and diverse flavours.
Among these vegetarian dishes is Khatte Baingan (Tsok Wangun) – a tangy, tamarind-based gravy dish cooked using long variant of brinjals. Prepared using the Kashmiri Pandit cooking style, which is without the use of onion, garlic, or tomatoes, this lip-smacking dish is sure to leave you wanting for more.
We bring you a recipe by Chef Rahul Wali, who along with Chef Sunil Mattoo, has meticulously crafted a special menu for the ongoing Kashmiri Food Festival at JW Marriott, New Delhi. Tsok Wangun is, of course, part of the elaborate menu that features a delectable amalgam of vegetarian and meat-based dishes.
250gm long brinjals (eggplants)
2 cups mustard oil
2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
2 teaspoon fennel powder
1 cup tamarind pulp
1 teaspoon asafoetida
2 cups water
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
– Cut brinjals into 4 long pieces, wash and drain.
– Heat oil in a deep frying pan
– Fry brinjals till they turn golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
– In a separate vessel, add 2 tablespoons of mustard oil. Heat it.
– Add salt, red chili powder, clove, asafoetida and a little water. Keep stirring.
– Add the rest of the powdered spices, tamarind pulp and two cups of water.
– Cover and bring to a boil.
– Add fried brinjals to the boiling curry and cook for 5-7 minutes.
– Remove in a serving bowl and garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
This delightful delicacy is best savored alongside steaming hot white rice, allowing the tangy flavors of the tamarind-infused gravy to complement the earthy richness of the brinjals.
Watch Live TV in English
Watch Live TV in HindiNews Related