Asking someone out on a date can be nerve wracking—but it doesn’t have to be! By using a little humor while popping the question, you can make your date giggle and (hopefully!) get them to say yes. We’ve compiled a list of some funny ways you can ask your date out to keep the question lowkey and lighthearted.
Method 1 of 11: Pass them a note. Download Article
Throw it back to elementary school with a note expressing your feelings. Then write, “Do you like me? Circle Yes or No.” Hopefully, they’ll circle yes, and you can start planning your date!
- This is also a super low-pressure way to ask someone out. If they aren’t feeling it, they can just circle no, and you can both move on.
Method 2 of 11: Write it in sidewalk chalk. Download Article
Borrow some fun chalk colors from your little sibling. Write, “Will you go out with me?” in huge letters outside your potential date’s house, then tell them to come outside. They’ll be so surprised, they’ll probably say yes!
- Bonus points if you add a few fun chalk drawings around your question.
- If you don’t want to go to your crush’s house, you could write it in front of your own and then invite them over.
Method 3 of 11: Ask with icing. Download Article
Buy a cake or a huge cookie from a bakery. Have them write “Will you go on a date with me?” in frosting on the top of the treat, then hand it to your potential date. This is a great option for anyone with a sweet tooth.
- If your date isn’t a fan of treats, you might want to go with a different option.
- If you have the baking skills, you could even whip something up yourself instead of buying it pre-made.
Method 4 of 11: Sing them a song. Download Article
Make up a song expressing your feelings. At the end, ask “will you go on a date with me?” Record yourself signing, then send the video via text or DM to your potential date. If they say yes, you can keep the video around forever as a fond memory.
- If you don’t want to make up a song, you could always sing a classic love song and add your question at the end.
- If singing isn’t your thing, try dancing or lip syncing instead.
Method 5 of 11: Give them multiple options for your date activity. Download Article
Come up with 2 or 3 things you guys could do on your date. Write them down, then hand your crush the note and have them circle their favorite option. When they give the note back to you, start planning your date!
- Your options could be things like: going to a museum, eating a home-cooked meal, going out to a fancy restaurant, spending a night star-gazing, or going on a nature walk.
Method 6 of 11: Send a gif. Download Article
If you can’t see your crush in person, try asking them over text. Pick out a funny gif that says, “wanna go out?” or “will you be mine?” Text it to them with a few heart emojis to get your point across.
- If they say yes, you can start planning your date! Pick out a time and a place to meet up in person.
- Asking someone out over text isn’t ideal, but it’s great if you live far away or you can’t see each other for a while.
Method 7 of 11: Try a cheesy pickup line. Download Article
Make your potential date giggle as you ask them out. Try something with a play on words to really get them going. You could try lines like:
- “Do you like coffee? Because I like you a latte.”
- “Do you have a bandaid? I scraped my knee falling for you.”
- “Are you Australian? Because you meet all of my koala-fications.”
Method 8 of 11: Write it on a pizza. Download Article
No one can resist the cheesy goodness of a pizza. Order a fresh pie, then write “Will you go out with me, or is this too cheesy?” on the box before handing it to your potential date. When they open it up, they’ll get a deliciously tasty surprise.
- If they say yes, your first date can be enjoying the pizza that just came to the door.
Method 9 of 11: Order a singing telegram. Download Article
Hire someone to show up to their house and sing about them. At the end of their song, the telegram can ask, “Will you go out with ___?” If they say yes, it will be a question they’ll never forget!
- Pick a time when you and your potential will be together, like when you’re hanging out at their house or you’re out at a restaurant.
Method 10 of 11: Write it on a stick of gum. Download Article
If your potential date always asks for a piece, it’s the perfect opportunity. Unwrap a piece of gum and write, “Will you go out with me?” on the wrapper. Put it back around the stick of gum, then offer it to them the next time you see each other.
- If you’re worried about your potential date picking the wrong piece of gum, make sure it’s the last one in the pack.
Method 11 of 11: Make it a challenge. Download Article
If you’re both competitive, use that to your advantage. Say something like, “I bet you can’t come up with a better date idea than me.” When they explain their idea, you can concede and say something like, “Okay, you win. What time should I pick you up?”
- This is a pretty bold option, so you should only use this one if you’re 99% sure your potential date is interested in you.