Vietnam cancels 2020 F1 race due to COVID-19 pandemic

HANOI -- Vietnam’s first Formula One grand prix has been officially cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers said on Friday.

The Vietnamese Grand Prix was originally scheduled to take place in April on the streets of Hanoi as the third race of the season, but sources told Reuters in March that it was under threat.

“This has been an extremely difficult but necessary decision to reach in view of the continued uncertainty caused by the global coronavirus pandemic,” Vietnam Grand Prix Corp said in an emailed statement, adding that it would refund all tickets sold.

Vietnam has recorded over 1,110 COVID-19 infections, with 35 deaths, Ministry of Health data showed.

The start of the Formula One season was pushed back to July from March due to the pandemic, with extensive changes made to the 2020 calendar.

The total number of races was cut to 17 from the record 22 originally envisaged, with Vietnam becoming the 13th race from the original calendar to be axed this year.

Hanoi city authorities had hoped to hold the race in November, but Vietnam Grand Prix Corp Chief Executive Le Ngoc Chi said on Friday that cancellation emerged as the only option after a review of safety criteria.

Formula One only finalised its 2020 calendar in August, following six rounds of racing.

The 13 races announced before the final calendar was made public were all in Europe, after all four of the season’s races in the Americas were scrapped.

In its August announcement, Formula One cancelled the Chinese Grand Prix, while adding four more races - one in Turkey, two in Bahrain and one in Abu Dhabi - in the last two months of the year.

News Related

OTHER NEWS

Hà Nội international marathon to welcome ‘new normal’

People and children join the last year Hanoi International Heritage Marathon hosted by VPBank. Thousands of runners from all continents will participate the VPBank Hanoi Marathon ASEAN 2020 (VPHM) on Sunday.— Photo courtesy... Read more »

F1 Vietnam cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic

The first F1 event ever to be held in Việt Nam, was due to take place in April, but it was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Photo nld.com.vn HÀ NỘI — The... Read more »

Formula One grand prix officially cancelled in Vietnam

The organisers of Vietnam’s first ever Formula One (F1) grand prix have announced that the event is officially cancelled due to the impact of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Read more »

Sài Gòn FC boss confident team can still win V.League 1 despite defeat

Sài Gòn FC struggled at Gò Đậu Stadium and fell to a 3-1 defeat to the home team Becamex Bình Dương. — Photo thanhnien.vn HCM CITY — Despite losing to Becamex Bình Dương... Read more »

Yanks for the memories Diana

TIME FOR CHANGE: Liverpool FC owner John Henry wants radical changes made to the Premier League. AFP/VNA Photo. Paul Kennedy For me, the 1994 World Cup won’t be remembered for the 0-0 final... Read more »

Pundit tips Lương Xuân Trường to play in Australia

Lương Xuân Trường is praised by Australia media as one of the Southeast Asian players who are capable of competing in the A-League. Photo Zingnews.vn HÀ NỘI Lương Xuân Trường has been named... Read more »

National squad to gather in mid-November ahead of international tournaments

The Vietnamese men’s national football team will hold a short training camp in mid-November following the conclusion of the V.League 1 season with the aim of preparing for upcoming international tournaments. Read more »

HCM City I FC win first leg of National Women’s Football Championship

Ho Chi Minh City I FC, in yellow, gain a 3-0 win over Hanoi II FC in the final match of the first leg of the Vietnam Women‚Äôs Football Championship 2020. Coach Kim... Read more »

HCM City I FC win first leg of National Women’s Football Championship

Ho Chi Minh City I FC have finished top of the first leg of the National Women’s Football Championship after recording a resounding 3-0 win over hosts Hanoi II FC on October... Read more »

Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive for COVID-19

LISBON — Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for COVID-19, Portugal’s Football Federation said in a statement on its website on Tuesday. The 35-year-old Juventus forward is asymptomatic and will miss Wednesday’s... Read more »