Three European powers reject China’s South China Sea claims

France, Germany, and the United Kingdom have come together to issue a joint note verbale to the United Nations in order to challenge China’s claims in the South China Sea, known locally as the East Sea.

In the joint note verbale dated September 17, the three European countries outline that they are state parties to the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and that China’s continued exercise of their ‘historic rights’ over the South China Sea fails to comply with international law and the 1982 UNCLOS.

They therefore underline the importance of “unhampered exercise of the freedom of the high seas, in particular the freedom of navigation and overflight, and of the right of innocent passage enshrined in UNCLOS, including in the South China Sea.”

China has conducted extensive land reclamation work at Fiery Cross Reef in the Spratly Islands chain in the South China Sea. (Photo: AP)

The three nations maintain their position of supporting a peaceful resolution of the maritime claims in the South China Sea that are in accordance with the UNCLOS principles and relevant dispute settlement procedures.

“This position is reaffirmed without prejudice to competing claims of coastal states over disputed territorial sovereignty to naturally formed land features and to areas of the continental shelf in the South China Sea on which France, Germany, and the United Kingdom take no position,” the note verbale reads.

As state parties to the 1982 UNCLOS, the European countries have vowed to “continue to uphold and assert their rights and freedoms as enshrined in UNCLOS and to contribute to promoting co-operation in the region as set out under the Convention.”

In an interview granted to Tien Phong daily September 17, Dr. Hoang Viet, a lecturer at Ho Chi Minh City Law School, said the move shows that the European powers have been closely monitoring the situation in the South China Sea and therefore view events there as important.

As a result, this rejection signals a fresh development in the South China Sea moving forward, Dr. Viet noted.

Upon analysing the joint move, the Vietnamese lecturer said the three countries hold the same view that the UNCLOS is a legally binding legal document which should be fully observed globally.

Furthermore, the joint action of the European countries to make a stand indicates that China’s exercise of their ‘historic rights’ over the South China Sea can be viewed as a violation of international law, in addition to the 1982 UNCLOS, which had already been affirmed by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in its 2016 ruling.

In 2016 the court supported the Philippines in its lawsuit against China, stating that Beijing had no legal basis to claim historic rights over the majority of the South China Sea through their “nine-dash line” claim, although the northern neighbour has repeatedly refused to honour the ruling.

Alongside France, Germany, and the UK, both the United States and Australia have also voiced their strong opposition to China’s South China Sea claims last July.

CPV (Source: VOV)
News Related

OTHER NEWS

Hà Nội international marathon to welcome ‘new normal’

People and children join the last year Hanoi International Heritage Marathon hosted by VPBank. Thousands of runners from all continents will participate the VPBank Hanoi Marathon ASEAN 2020 (VPHM) on Sunday.— Photo courtesy... Read more »

F1 Vietnam cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic

The first F1 event ever to be held in Việt Nam, was due to take place in April, but it was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Photo nld.com.vn HÀ NỘI — The... Read more »

Vietnam cancels 2020 F1 race due to COVID-19 pandemic

HANOI — Vietnam’s first Formula One grand prix has been officially cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers said on Friday. The Vietnamese Grand Prix was originally scheduled to take place in April... Read more »

Formula One grand prix officially cancelled in Vietnam

The organisers of Vietnam’s first ever Formula One (F1) grand prix have announced that the event is officially cancelled due to the impact of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Read more »

Sài Gòn FC boss confident team can still win V.League 1 despite defeat

Sài Gòn FC struggled at Gò Đậu Stadium and fell to a 3-1 defeat to the home team Becamex Bình Dương. — Photo thanhnien.vn HCM CITY — Despite losing to Becamex Bình Dương... Read more »

Yanks for the memories Diana

TIME FOR CHANGE: Liverpool FC owner John Henry wants radical changes made to the Premier League. AFP/VNA Photo. Paul Kennedy For me, the 1994 World Cup won’t be remembered for the 0-0 final... Read more »

Pundit tips Lương Xuân Trường to play in Australia

Lương Xuân Trường is praised by Australia media as one of the Southeast Asian players who are capable of competing in the A-League. Photo Zingnews.vn HÀ NỘI Lương Xuân Trường has been named... Read more »

National squad to gather in mid-November ahead of international tournaments

The Vietnamese men’s national football team will hold a short training camp in mid-November following the conclusion of the V.League 1 season with the aim of preparing for upcoming international tournaments. Read more »

HCM City I FC win first leg of National Women’s Football Championship

Ho Chi Minh City I FC, in yellow, gain a 3-0 win over Hanoi II FC in the final match of the first leg of the Vietnam Women‚Äôs Football Championship 2020. Coach Kim... Read more »

HCM City I FC win first leg of National Women’s Football Championship

Ho Chi Minh City I FC have finished top of the first leg of the National Women’s Football Championship after recording a resounding 3-0 win over hosts Hanoi II FC on October... Read more »