Egg rolls are a Chinese American staple. The origins of the dish are not definitive but their ubiquitousness in American cuisine and culture has been clear for decades (hence there being a different spin on egg rolls at every fast casual restaurant). We have a ton of different versions but since we have become obsessed with using our air fryer, we thought we had to develop a new recipe that is quick to make and even easier to clean up from.
Since this recipe includes the not-so-traditional act of air frying, we figured we’d keep the filling classic with carrots, celery, cabbage and crispy pork. However, any multitude of fillings could work (and we recommend you experiment)!
The two main tips for perfect air fryer egg rolls is 1) brush your egg rolls with oil, this will ensure they get crispy and develop those iconic little bubble on the outside and 2) preheat your air fryer to 400º and “fry” for 10 minutes flipping halfway through. Follow these rules and you’ll have perfectly crispy egg rolls every time, while using a fraction of the oil.
Tried out this air fryer recipe? Let us know how the egg rolls came out in the comments below!
Process Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
medium carrots, julienned
stalks celery, julienned
small cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp.
- 2 tbsp.
- 3 tbsp.
- 2 tsp.
- 1 tbsp.
vegetable or other neutral oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp.
minced fresh ginger
cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb.
Freshly ground black pepper
to 14 egg roll wrappers
Hot Chinese mustard, for serving
Duck sauce, for serving
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add carrots, celery and cabbage and blanche for 2 minutes until slightly softened. Transfer to an ice bath.
- Once cool enough to handle, drain and squeeze the veggies using a kitchen towel until all of the water is removed. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine oyster sauce, hoisin, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil until shimmering. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add ground pork and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until starting to turn crispy and golden, 4 to 5 minutes
- Drain fat from the skillet until only 1 tablespoon remains. Add sauce and toss pork to coat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the drained veggies and saute until the mixture is fully combined and warmed through, for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly..
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface in a diamond shape. Spoon two heaping tablespoons of filling onto the bottom third of the wrapper. Fold up bottom half and tightly fold in sides. Gently roll, then seal fold with a couple drops of water, pressing to seal.
- Preheat air fryer at 400°F for 3 minutes. Working in batches so the air fryer isn’t overcrowded, brush each egg roll with vegetable oil then add to the fryer basket. Air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until the egg rolls are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately with hot mustard and duck sauce.