I love a good suit. An alternative to the traditional cocktail dress, I love opting for tailored pieces for weddings and other formal events. However, come summertime, I’m a pretty big advocate for going trouser-less. This is why I’m such a fan of the trend that celebs like Dua Lipa and Jennifer Lopez just can’t stop wearing on the red carpet: the tuxedo dress.
The perfect marriage of a suit and minidress, tuxedo dresses are essentially just elongated tuxedo jackets or blazers and are sometimes cinched at the waist. They're a surefire way to look polished for any occasion. What I love most about them is their versatility. They look great paired with towering sandals or pumps, but they can just as easily be paired with any of 2021’s sneaker trends for a casual yet elevated look. Another styling tip? Many tuxedo dresses have an oversized fit, so I love pairing mine with a designer belt to create some shape.
Ahead, I scoured the internet for the best tuxedo dresses out there (at every price point, of course) so you can step up your night-out game in a big way. Keep scrolling to shop all of my picks.
1. Zara Blazer Dress With Rhinestone Buttons
Zara Blazer Dress With Rhinestone Buttons (£80)
Consider this dress a must-have staple that can be dressed up or down.
2. Anna Quan Chiara Twist Blazer Dress
Anna Quan Chiara Twist Blazer Dress ($621)
The twist detail on this one is everything.
3. ASOS Luxe Ultimate Tux Dress in Black
ASOS Luxe Ultimate Tux Dress in Black (£25)
The perfect day-to-night dress, this one can effortlessly transition from the office to dinner.
4. ASOS Design Leather-Look Oversized Mini Blazer Dress
ASOS Design Leather-Look Oversized Mini Blazer Dress (£40)
This style has major '80s vibes.
5. The Kooples Chase Jacket Dress
The Kooples Black Jacket Dress With Pleating (£280)
6. Zara Cut Out Blazer Dress
Zara Cut Out Blazer Dress (£50)
Short sleeves and midriff cutouts? The perfect end-of-summer dress.
7. NA-KD Tailored Vest Dress
NA-KD Tailored Vest Dress (£51)
Afraid of getting sweaty? Don't fret—there are sleeveless versions, too!
8. Adrianna Papell Velvet Tuxedo Dress
Adrianna Papell Velvet Tuxedo Dress (£135)
If you're asking yourself whether or not you need this in your wardrobe, the answer is yes. You absolutely do.
9. Nasty Gal Check Blazer Dress
Nasty Gal Check Blazer Dress (£27)
I love the subtle check print on this one.
10. Dion Lee Accordion Pleat Blazer
Dion Lee Accordion Pleat Blazer (£770)
This incredible piece features hook-and-eye fastenings and inverted pleats, making it totally worth the splurge.
11. Nanushka Ruched Satin Mini Wrap Dress
Nanushka Ruched Satin Mini Wrap Dress (£211)
The satin this dress is made of is absolutely drool-worthy.
12. ASOS Design Shoulder Pad Blazer Dress With Obi Belt in Soft Camel
ASOS Design Shoulder Pad Blazer Dress With Obi Belt in Soft Camel (£42)
Rather than buttons, this chic little number features hidden popper fastenings and corset details.
13. & Other Stories Hourglass Blazer Mini Dress
& Other Stories Hourglass Blazer Mini Dress (£120)
This one will look great with strappy sandals.
14. Oscar De La Renta Tuxedo Wool Mini Dress
Oscar De La Renta Tuxedo Wool Mini Dress (£2800)
15. Balmain Double-Breasted Tuxedo Tweed Dress
Balmain Double-Breasted Tuxedo Tweed Dress (£1850)
If you're a fan of bubblegum pink, this one's for you.
16. Self-Portrait Checked Peak-Lapels Blazer Dress
Self-Portrait Checked Peak-Lapels Blazer Dress (£400)
I'm calling it: This is going to be the dress of autumn.
17. Elisabetta Franchi Double-Breasted Blazer Dress
Elisabetta Franchi Double-Breasted Blazer Dress ($539)
The tailoring on this one is everything.
18. French Connection Colet Wrap Tuxedo Dress
French Connection Colet Wrap Tuxedo Dress (£48)
This one has a more casual feel.
19. Rebecca Vallance Ilona Blazer Mini Dress
Rebecca Vallance Ilona Blazer Mini Dress (£526)
This checked version is perfect.
20. Philosophy Di Lorenzo Serafini Long-Sleeve Blazer Dress
Philosophy Di Lorenzo Serafini Long-Sleeve Blazer Dress (£1187)
This would look great belted or worn open over a simple slip dress.
Next up, the biggest autumn/winter 2021 fashion trends to know.
This piece originally appeared on Who What Wear U.S.
This article originally appeared on Who What Wear
Read More from Who What Wear