T20 World Cup 2021: Kohli opens up on his decision to leave T20I captaincy, playing in bio-bubble, and pitches in UAE

Asia's Tech News Daily

T20 World Cup 2021: Kohli opens up on his decision to leave T20I captaincy, playing in bio-bubble, and pitches in UAE
© Provided by Firstpost T20 World Cup 2021: Kohli opens up on his decision to leave T20I captaincy, playing in bio-bubble, and pitches in UAE

Virat Kohli has refused to talk anymore about the reasons behind his decision to quit India’s T20I captaincy after the ongoing World Cup. Kohli’s made the announcement last month a few days before also deciding to quit Royal Challengers Bangalore captaincy after IPL 2021.

While Kohli’s decision took everyone by surprise, the BCCI president Sourav Ganguly recently said that the India captain was under no pressure from the board to step down from his post.

With a lot of theories floating around about the reason for such a decision, skipper Kohli said that he is not ready to add fuel to fire.

“I have already explained myself a lot and I don’t think I need to harp on that anymore,” Kohli said when asked the reason to announce it before the T20 World Cup.

“Our focus is to play well in this World Cup and do what we need to do as a team. Rest people are trying to dig up things that doesn’t exist and I am not someone who is ever going to give fodder to that,” Kohli, who was a visibly irritated at the question, said.

“I have explained myself very honestly and openly and if people feel there’s more to it than what I have already told, I feel pretty bad for them. That’s certainly not the case.”

Kohli also said that players need “periodic breaks” from bio-bubble life to refresh themselves as he advocated a balanced approach while dealing with the circumstances arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kohli said risking players’ well-being “to cover up” lack of cricket due to the pandemic will not benefit the game.

“It’s necessary to have a balanced approach, it’s important to give players periodic breaks, where they can get mentally refreshed and come into the environment, where they can again compete, this is important, Kohli said at the pre-match press conference ahead of India’s clash against arch-rivals Pakistan in their T20 World Cup opening match.

“Going forward, it’s necessary this thing needs to be considered. I understand that for a long-time cricket has not happened in the world, but to cover up that if you ask a player to risk, I don’t think world cricket will benefit from it,” he added.

Mental stress associated with strict bio-bubble life has been a hot topic of discussion worldwide. It has affected a lot of players across international teams.

Stressing that one cannot tell where an individual is placed mentally in a bio-bubble, Kohli said the team management needs communication with the players in this regard.

“Players need to be communicated where they are placed, what they want. You cannot tell who is mentally at which stage individually in a bio-bubble. If you see 5-6 people (players) happy, you cannot determine that all 15-16 people (players) are feeling the same way.”

Kohli, however, said a tournament like the ongoing T20 World Cup gives players motivation.

“The good thing is we have just played the IPL with eight teams, every day was a new challenge, you are involved as the tournament builds up in order to achieve your goal,” said Kohli.

“World Cup gives you different motivation being a multinational tournament. you have the opportunity to face many international sides whom you may not have faced before. So, new challenges come up that help you keep your focus intact.

“But going forward, it (stress due to bio-bubble life) is important to consider that,” he added.

Talking about the pitches in UAE for T20 World Cup, Kohli said he is expecting better pitches as compared to the ones on offer during the recently-concluded IPL where stroke-making became difficult for batters.

Kohli, who led RCB for the last time in the IPL, had plied his trade on all the tracks and feels that the ICC will present the teams with better strips than those during the lucrative T20 league.

Asked if he sees the nature of tracks changing, the Indian captain answered in the affirmative.

“I believe so. Looking at the IPL final, I believe that quality of pitches definitely is going to be far better in this T20 World Cup,” Kohli said.

The normal rules for ICC events will also play their part in improved playing conditions. India will play four out of their five group league games in Dubai with the match against Afghanistan being held in Abu Dhabi.

“Also being an ICC tournament, we know that standard of pitches is going to be maintained up to a certain degree which is consistent across all venues.

“I knew that to protect the pitches for a tournament like World Cup, there had to be some compromise in playing conditions when we played the IPL. We all understood that and wicket in the IPL final (between CSK and KKR) was very very good,” he explained.

Kohli also agreed that the dew factor will be prominent as the tournament progresses.

“Dew factor will be prominent as we head into this time of the year in Dubai. That is also going to help the pitches play much better.

“I believe Abu Dhabi and Dubai are going to be best pitches out of all the venues. Sharjah more or less will stay more or less true to its nature, which is slow and low and I don’t see myself too many high scoring matches,” Kohli said.

With PTI inputs

Internet Explorer Channel Network
Asia's Tech News Daily
News Related

OTHER NEWS

Doctor Who festive special sees return of an old enemy - the Daleks

It’s nearly time for the Doctor Who festive special which can only mean one thing – Daleks. The metal monsters will make a return on New Year’s Day in a ... Read more »

Congress trying to win MLC polls with money power: Karnataka CM Bommai

© Provided by Hindustan Times The Congress had accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of using — or misusing — state machinery to win support. (ANI) Karnataka chief minister Basavaraj ... Read more »

Shopkeeper held for selling LPG illegally in Ludhiana

© Provided by Hindustan Times The Ludhiana police received information that the accused shopkeeper refilled small LPG cylinders from regular ones and sold them to labourers at a higher price. ... Read more »

Germany: Free Democrats back coalition agreement

© Provided by WION Germany’s pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) on Sunday voted on Sunday to back coalition agreement with the Social Democrats and the Greens. This has paved way for ... Read more »

Air India pilots to meet Aviation Secretary before taking call on ‘industrial action'

© Provided by Hindustan Times Air India pilots have been writing to the airline since October but they haven’t received any reply. (HT PHOTO.) Air India pilots, who had warned the ... Read more »

Erste Details zur Impfpflicht in Österreich geleakt: 600 Euro Busse alle drei Monate – oder Knast!

Ab dem 1. Februar gilt in Österreich die Impfpflicht. Nun ist auch klar, wie der Staat diese Pandemie-Massnahme durchsetzen will. Verweigerern drohen immer wieder saftige Bussen. © Bereitgestellt von Blick ... Read more »

Doctor Who recap: Flux chapter six – The Vanquishers

“What an awfully big adventure,” said Kevin McNally’s Prof Jericho as he faced certain death at the hands of either a Sontaran or the Flux, or possibly both simultaneously. And ... Read more »

Belarus summons Ukraine attache over alleged airspace violations

© Provided by dw.com Tensions have soared in recent months on Belarusian borders Ukrainian defense attache had been summoned to the country’s Ministry of Defense over allegations that a Ukrainian ... Read more »

Police: Buckeye man fatally shot by neighbor who was harassing family

Shooting Alfonso Gastelum, a 27-year-old man from Buckeye, is dead after he was shot during a dispute by a suspect who had been harassing members of his family. At roughly ... Read more »

Michigan Quarterback Has Brutally Honest Admission On Ohio State

© Provided by The Spun Michigan Wolverines quarterback Cade McNamara. Michigan quarterback Cade McNamara threw a little bit of shade at Ohio State on Sunday afternoon. McNamara was asked if ... Read more »

Former Tennessee analyst hired as ACC offensive coordinator

© Provided by Vols Wire Chip Long served as Tulane’s offensive coordinator during the 2021 season. He will serve in the same capacity at Georgia Tech in 2022 under head ... Read more »

Where to discover The Device in Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 1

© Provided by GamePur One of the Season Quests in Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 1 is to discover The Device. This is a piece of tech that The Seven will ... Read more »

ShahZaM vs. Berlin: Sentinels' IGL seeks to conquer the city that burned him twice

© Provided by Dot Esports Mere minutes after his NA CS:GO roster had been eliminated in the Challengers Stage of the StarLadder Berlin Major, Complexity’s CEO Jason Lake went public ... Read more »

Urgent warning for millions of Android users about hack that can access your money if you answer the phone

ANDROID users have been identified as potential victims to a malware scam that seeks to obtain personal information, through their phone. By answering a simple phone call, users become at ... Read more »

Valorant Invalid Access to Memory Location: How to Fix

Valorant’s invalid access to memory location has been a pop-up error message for some players. This error is not as simple as exiting and reentering the game. Instead, this is ... Read more »

Gambia: President Barrow set for victory but rivals cry foul

© Provided by dw.com Gambian president Adama Barrow looks set for a landslide win at the country’s elections Gambian President Adama Barrow on Sunday looked set for an emphatic win ... Read more »

Chiefs OL Kyle Long built chemistry with teammates during time on Reserve/PUP list

© Provided by Chiefs Wire The Kansas City Chiefs officially activated offensive lineman Kyle Long this week after a knee injury in OTAs kept him on the Reserve/PUP list following ... Read more »

Tottenham sweep Norwich aside after Lucas Moura's wonder strike

© Provided by The Guardian Photograph: Daniel Leal/AFP/Getty Images It might not have been the day that Harry Kane scored his first Premier League goal of the Antonio Conte era, ... Read more »

Gambian opposition parties reject preliminary election results

© Provided by The Guardian Photograph: John Wessels/AFP/Getty Images Gambian opposition candidates have rejected the preliminary results of Saturday’s historic vote in the West African nation which suggest the incumbent ... Read more »

Premier League 2021-22 Manchester United vs Crystal Palace LIVE Streaming: When and Where to Watch Online, TV Telecast, Team News

© Provided by News18 Ralf Rangnick will take the mantle of Manchester United for the first time as an interim manager on Sunday when the Red Devils host Crystal Palace ... Read more »

Travel bans will do nothing to stop spread of omicron in UK, scientist warns

© AP Professor Willem Hanekom said controls on travel should not be the priority for UK authorities in dealing with the new variant – AP Cases of the new omicron ... Read more »

Falcons' Marlon Davidson gets a THICC SIX touchdown against Tom Brady

© Provided by Touchdown Wire Is there anything better in football than a big dude rumbling into the end zone with a ball he’s procured from the opposing offense? We ... Read more »

Chris Cuomo was accused of harassment days before CNN firing

© Provided by Associated Press FILE – Chris Cuomo attends The Hollywood Reporter’s annual Most Powerful People in Media cocktail reception on April 11, 2019, in New York. CNN fired ... Read more »

Will Buccaneers consider cutting Antonio Brown after fake COVID card?

© Provided by Fansided With the news of Antonio Brown being suspended for his fake COVID card, his future with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers really feels up in the air.  ... Read more »

Gerrard hails ‘brilliant' Villa after ‘sloppy' start vs Leicester

© PA Images Steven Gerrard watches from the touchline Steven Gerrard has praised his Aston Villa side for overcoming their “sloppy” start to defeat Leicester 2-1 at Villa Park. The ... Read more »

Panthers part ways with OC Joe Brady

© Reuters/Bob Donnan NFL: Washington Football Team at Carolina Panthers The Carolina Panthers fired offensive coordinator Joe Brady on Sunday with five games remaining in his second season with the ... Read more »

Watch: Rangnick admits double-take at Fred's right-footed winner

© PA Images Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick Ralf Rangnick got off to a winning start at Manchester United after overseeing their 1-0 win over Crystal Palace – and the ... Read more »

Watch: Former Notre Dame tight end scores first NFL touchdown

© Provided by Fighting Irish Wire Brock Wright went undrafted this past spring but was ultimately signed by the Detroit Lions.  After bouncing between the practice squad and active roster ... Read more »

Our hopes for a mayo bath might be coming true at this year's Duke's Mayo Bowl

© Provided by For The Win Before the 2020 college football season, the Belk Bowl — a bowl game based in Charlotte that features an ACC team against either a ... Read more »

Gardner Minshew Is Off To An Incredible Start On Sunday

© Provided by The Spun Eagles quarterback Gardner Minshew smiles while holding his jersey. The Philadelphia Eagles were forced to swap quarterbacks on Sunday as usual starter Jalen Hurts nurses ... Read more »

Bills CB Dane Jackson: 'It's a huge opportunity'

© Provided by Bills Wire Buffalo Bills CB Dane Jackson spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad though he shined when he had opportunities in limited gameplay ... Read more »

How to get Endwalker Tomestone Gear in Final Fantasy XIV

© Provided by GamePur Once you’ve defeated Zenos, watched the end credits roll, and turned in your final quest, you are officially done with the story content of Endwalker. However, ... Read more »

TFT Patch 11.24 slated to buff Frozen Heart and Blue Buff, rework Spellblade Hextech Augment

© Provided by Dot Esports Game designer Kent “Riot Kent” Wu and game design director Stephen “Mortdog” Mortimer revealed a massive amount of changes to Set Six Teamfight Tactics within ... Read more »

Quinn Ewers Reportedly Visiting Major Program On Sunday

© Provided by The Spun Quinn Ewers throws a ball. On Friday night, reports emerged that five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers would be transferring from Ohio State. Today, Ewers is reportedly ... Read more »

WATCH: Colts' Ashton Dulin shows off elite toe drag on TD

© File photo Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Ashton Dulin (16) walks off the field after pregame warmups before an NFL football game against the Houston Texans, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2020, ... Read more »

Playoff Committee Chairman Explains Alabama Over Michigan

© Provided by The Spun Gary Barta and Kirk Ferentz talk on the Iowa football field. The College Football Playoff matchups are set but that still means people will be ... Read more »

Bill Cowher Makes His Opinion On The Bengals Very Clear

© Provided by The Spun Former NFL head coach Bill Cowher. The Cincinnati Bengals have been one of the more surprising contenders to emerge through the first 12 weeks of ... Read more »

Former Buckeyes Star Has A Message For Michigan Fans

© Provided by The Spun Ohio State’s Tyvis Powell tackling Michigan WR Jeremy Gallon Former Ohio State safety Tyvis Powell poked some fun at Michigan fans on Sunday. Powell took ... Read more »

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic: Alabama vs. Cincinnati point spread, start time and prediction

© Provided by Fansided The No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide (12-1) will take on with the No. 4 Cincinnati Bearcats (13-0) in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic as part of the College Football Playoff. ... Read more »

The Notre Dame impact of Oklahoma coaching search

© Provided by Fighting Irish Wire Since Notre Dame football started it’s friends-with-benefits deal with the ACC in 2014 the most successful conference program in that time has been Clemson ... Read more »
On free-english-test.com you will find lots of free English exam practice materials to help you improve your English skills: grammar, listening, reading, writing, ielts, toeic