Today Extra host Sylvia Jeffreys has reacted to Lord Mayor Clover Moore’s decision to cancel Sydney’s New Year’s Eve firework display.
The City of Sydney council announced Sydney’s 9pm fireworks had been cancelled on Tuesday.
A fired up Sylvia turned to her co-host David Campbell and said ‘you don’t just take them away and give us nothing in return.’
‘I understand some of the reasons behind cancelling the fireworks, but don’t just take them away and give us nothing in return,’ Sylvia said.
Bureaucrats at the City of Sydney council said the decision to cancel the firework display is necessary to keep residents safe amid the uncertainty of the Covid-19 virus.
Council will reportedly copy the format of 2020’s New Years Eve, cancelling the traditional 9pm fireworks, the ‘harbour of light parade’ and the lord mayor’s picnic according to a leaked email from the City of Sydney to stakeholders that was seen by the Sydney Morning Herald.
While the midnight fireworks will be given the go-ahead, they will reportedly only be centred around Circular Quay and the inner harbour while arrangements for crowds are still being decided.
Meanwhile, Sylvia returned to her co-hosting duties at Today Extra last week, after six months maternity leave.
‘I’ve had a long shower and a hot coffee so it’s basically my birthday,’ joked the 35-year-old after being welcomed back by co-host David Campbell.
She also joked that she felt ‘free as a bird’ following her half year maternity leave with sons Henry, five months, and Oscar, 19 months.
‘I’m feeling very good and all the better for seeing all your beautiful faces in real life this morning,’ quipped the journalist.
‘And I’m never going home again. It’s too nice wearing make-up.’