Create a taste sensation with this sweet potato casserole. This vegetarian dish is not only quick to prepare but incredibly delicious. If you have some vegetarian guests coming over for dinner, this hearty dish will make them smile. You can also serve this sweet potato casserole as a side dish as it yields 16 portions. This appetising dish will complement the main dish perfectly.
The combination of mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, vanilla, pecan nuts and marshmallows are so divine that you may think that you are actually enjoying some dessert. The last 25 minutes is spent in the oven baking the sweet potato casserole to a sweet, golden delight.
Next time you have an abundance of sweet potatoes in your home, look no further than this mouth-watering recipe. It is bound to make your vegetarian and carnivorous friends reach for the dish-up spoon more than once.
Let us know in the comments section of this recipe if you have tried this tasty sweet potato casserole.
Sweet potato casserole recipe
5 from 1 vote Recipe by Carla Zinkfontein Course: MainCuisine: VegetarianDifficulty: Easy Servings
1.15 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup finely chopped pecans, divided
2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and the next 3 ingredients (up to the vanilla).
- Mash the sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in a ¼ cup of pecans.
- Scrape the sweet potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup pecans; top with marshmallows.
- Bake at 190°C for 25 minutes or until golden.
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more tasty recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.Internet Explorer Channel Network