TENOM: A second body has been recovered following Wednesday’s boat capsize tragedy near Kampung Saliwangan Batu 64, Beaufort.
The body of Joseph Sayah, 55, was found on a riverbank about 37km from the scene of the tragedy. Members of the public discovered the body at about 6.45am today before contacting the authorities.
Another body of a 12-year-old child, had been previously found at Batu 60, about 34km from the scene, on Thursday.
Sabah Fire and Rescue Department deputy director, Farhan Sufyan Borhan, said they received an emergency call at 6.52am.
He said a team of five members and officers were then deployed to the scene to retrieve the victim.
“The search and rescue operation for the sunken boat with the aid of police and Malaysian Civil Defence Force ended at 8.55am,” he said.
In the incident at 4pm on Wednesday, the two victims were swept away by the currents off Sungai Padas. An elderly man and a woman survived the tragedy. The four boat passengers were believed to have been returning home after buying necessities in Tenom town.
The boat was said to have capsized due to strong currents as the vessel crossed the river.
© New Straits Times Press (M) BhdInternet Explorer Channel Network