Rosa Maione, the woman responsible for caring for Ann Marie Smith, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter after the woman with a disability died in April last year. Picture: SAPOLSource:Supplied
The carer charged with the death of Adelaide woman Ann Marie Smith, who police said died in “disgusting and degrading circumstances”, has admitted responsibility.
Rosa Maria Maione, 69, fronted the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday where she pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
Maione was caring for Ms Smith when the victim, who had cerebral palsy, was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital where she died from septic shock, malnourishment, severe pressure sores and multi-organ failure in April last year.
Ms Smith, 54, lived alone in her Kensington Park home and relied on NDIS carers to care for her.
But, SA Police said the victim suffered extreme neglect and had been confined to a cane chair for more than a year in the lead-up to her death.
Rosa Maione made no comment as she left the Adelaide Magistrates court with her lawyer Stephen Ey on Wednesday. Picture Mark BrakeSource:News Corp Australia
She pleaded guilty to manslaughter, after disability neglect victim, Ann Marie Smith (pictured), died in hospital last April. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Limited Network
Major Crime launched an investigation after Ms Smith’s death and found a number of items had been stolen from her home, speeding and red light camera fines were linked to her car and about $70,000 worth of “irregular spending” were missing from the inheritance left to her from her parents who died 2009.
The defendant was arrested in early August last year and charged with manslaughter.
Maione was released from the Adelaide Women's Prison on August 13 when she was released on home detention to stay in her Hectorville home under strict conditions.
Ms Smith had been confined to a cane chair inside her Kensington Park home (pictured) for more than a year in the lead up to her death. Picture: Matt LoxtonSource:News Corp Australia
Despite her plea on Wednesday, Maione was free to continue with her home detention bail.
Prosecutor Sophie Taylor said there were no objections to bail continuing “at this stage” but flagged to seek it revoked when Maione faced the Adelaide Supreme Court in September.
“I understand there have been conversations between the Director (of Public Prosecution)’s office and my friend (defence lawyer Stephen Ey) and the application is likely to be made at arraignment,” Ms Taylor told the court.
The Party Games newsletter Get your political briefing from news.com.au’s political editor Samantha Maiden.
The Party Games newsletter Success! Check your inbox for details. See all newsletters
Maione was released from the Adelaide Women’s Prison on August 13 last year after she was granted home detention bail. Picture: Brenton EdwardsSource:News Corp Australia
Her bail was granted in a previous court appearance in August last year.
Maione was told she would not continue working as a carer but she was allowed to babysit her infant granddaughter.
Maione made no comment as she left the court but Mr Ey said his client would provide an explanation when the matter was heard later in the year.
“We will say it all in the Supreme Court. Thank you. No comment,” he said.