Queenslanders are bracing for more coronavirus cases after four new infections emerged in Brisbane.
Concerned health officials released a series of new exposure sites after state recorded its first mystery case in 50 days on Tuesday.
Two McDonalds restaurants, several Woolworths supermarkets, a cafe, Domino’s pizza store and inner-city guesthouse are among the venues exposed to the virus.
The latest virus scare has sparked restrictions being reinstated in the Brisbane and Moreton Bay local government areas with the mandatory wearing of masks in indoor settings, including workplaces.
It has also cast doubt over Sunday night’s NRL grand final at Suncorp Stadium.
A Brisbane man in his 30s who works in the aviation industry tested positive on Tuesday. He had no recent history of international or domestic travel.
He was infectious in the community for three days and had only been vaccinated a week prior, meaning he was not fully protected.
His wife has also tested positive.
The third case is that of a woman who returned three negative tests during two weeks in hotel quarantine before testing positive five days after her release.
Five of the exposure sites announced on Tuesday were close contact sites, where anyone who was at the venues at the listed times must get tested and self-isolate for 14 days, regardless of the result.
They include Hill Station Restaurant and Cafe and Brands Pharmacy in Spring Hill, Seats ‘R’ Us in Rocklea, Adalong Student Guesthouse and McDonald’s Southbank.
A host of casual contact venues were also announced, where attendees are ordered to test tested and self-isolate until they received a positive result.
McDonald’s Drive Thru in Albany Creek was listed as a low-risk venue between 5.05am and 5.10am on September 24. Anyone there at that time is to be alert for symptoms.
Queensland now has two Covid-19 clusters with the primary concern for a truck driver who was infectious in the community for eight days and stayed at two hotels and a inner-city boarding house.
‘Obviously one of those was as a result of a truck driver coming into the state and out in the community for considerable period of time,’ Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll told the Today show on Wednesday.
‘I haven’t had the latest numbers in this morning but our contact tracers will be very, very busy in the next few days.’
The state government has moved to mandate at least one jab for truck drivers entering Queensland after seven truck drivers have entered the state who have been infectious in the community since August 24.
Freight drivers must receive their first jab by by October 15, and two jabs by November 15.
The four cases reported on Tuesday have brought a cloud over the NRL grand final plans, just days before 50,000 people are expected to descend on Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there had been no discussions with the NRL over a potential plan to move the event.
‘When my phone rings I’ll be updating people, but there is no concern at the moment,’ she said on Tuesday.
Queensland administered 18,482 vaccinations in the reporting period until Tuesday, with 64.1 per cent of the eligible population having received their first dose.