Boris Johnson has said the Queen is “back at her desk” working following her overnight stay in hospital on Wednesday, as it is understood she will carry out light duties while she continues to rest.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said she was admitted for “preliminary investigations” – but returned to Windsor Castle at lunchtime on Thursday and “remains in good spirits”.
The 95-year-old monarch was treated at the private King Edward VII Hospital in central London on Wednesday, in what was her first overnight hospital stay in eight years.
The prime minister commented on the Queen during a visit to a vaccine centre in west London on Friday.
“I think everybody sends Her Majesty our very, very best wishes. And certainly, we have from the government,” Mr Johnson said.
“But I’m given to understand that actually Her Majesty is characteristically back at her desk at Windsor as we speak. But we send her every possible good wish.”
Sky News’ royal correspondent, Rhiannon Mills, said Her Majesty’s admission was not related to COVID-19 – and she was back at her desk doing some light work by Thursday afternoon.
A source previously said that the Queen was continuing to rest and “undertaking light duties”.
Her Majesty could be working on correspondence from her red boxes – policy papers, cabinet documents, Foreign Office telegrams, a daily summary of events in parliament, letters and other state papers.
The Queen had undertaken a string of engagements in recent weeks, but had been given medical advice to rest for a few days.
On Tuesday evening, Her Majesty had attended an event at Windsor Castle, where she was seen alongside Prince Charles, Prince William and the prime minister.
During the event, she also shook hands with Bill Gates and US climate envoy John Kerry.
The following day, she had been due to attend a service marking the centenary of the partition of Ireland and the formation of Northern Ireland.
In a statement at the time, Buckingham Palace said the Queen had “reluctantly accepted” the medical advice to rest – adding she was “disappointed” about being unable to make the trip.
Her Majesty’s last stay in hospital happened in 2013, when she had suffered a nasty bout of gastroenteritis. She had successful surgery to treat an eye cataract in 2018, and also had a knee operation in 2003.
Next year, the Queen will celebrate 70 years on the throne – and although she continues to carry out official engagements, she has handed more duties to Prince Charles.
Earlier this month, she was seen using a walking stick for support in public for the first time.
The Queen appeared to be in good health during Tuesday’s drinks reception – and earlier this week, it emerged she had turned down an award that would have named her Oldie of the Year.
According to an aide, Her Majesty believes “you are as old as you feel” – and she felt that she did not meet the “relevant criteria” for the trophy.
Mr Johnson had earlier passed on his best wishes to the Queen as she continues to rest.
A No 10 spokesman told reporters on Friday: “The prime minister’s best wishes have been passed on to Her Majesty.”
The spokesman declined to say whether Mr Johnson had had his weekly audience with the monarch.Internet Explorer Channel Network