Queensland health authorities have declared three more NSW local government areas (LGAs) as hotspots as more Covid-19 cases emerge across the state.
From 1am Thursday, anyone who has been to the LGAs of Orange, Blayney and Cabonne will not be allowed to enter Queensland unless they are a returning Queensland resident, except for a limited range of people who can enter for an essential purpose.
Camera IconQueensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said Qld was acting cautiously to protect the community from the increased risk of Covid-19. Dan Peled / NCA Newswire Credit: News Corp Australia
Queensland residents, and anyone who is allowed to enter Queensland from nominated hotspots, will be required to go into the mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine.
Chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young said it was imperative that people who had been to the new LGAs followed the lockdown rules and did not travel to Queensland.
“Please reconsider any travel to NSW,” Dr Young said.
“You should only be going if absolutely essential.
“If you’re there already, think about coming home.”
Camera IconCars trickle through the line at the drive-in Covid testing site at Fairfield Showground on Wednesday. David Swift / NCA NewsWire Credit: News Corp Australia
Those entering Queensland from Orange, Blayney and Cabonne before the deadline will need to immediately get tested and quarantine at home if they have been to any of the NSW exposure venues, until receiving a negative result.
It comes after NSW recorded 110 new infections – 43 of which were infectious while in the community.
Earlier today, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the critical point where health authorities would know if the lockdown worked might be known by this weekend or early next week, depending on the health advice that comes through.