If you love South African cuisine, this pumpkin tart will be a winner at your dinner table. This delicious side dish compliments a truly South African meal.
This recipe almost reminds one of pumpkin fritters, but this is in the form of a big tart. If you have lots of pumpkins at home, this is an excellent way to prepare an appetising side dish for the family.
In just over an hour you can whip up this tasty side dish. When the pumpkin tart comes warm out of the oven, sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar for the ultimate taste sensation. Serve it with traditional South African food. It goes perfectly with a Sunday roast and may even steal some of the limelight from the main dish.
So, next time you are scratching your head regarding what side dishes to prepare, remember this appetising pumpkin tart. It will be a hit at the dinner table and easily become a frequent menu request.
Pumpkin tart recipe
0 from 0 votes Recipe by Marele van Zyl Course: SidesCuisine: South AfricanDifficulty: Easy Prep time
hour Total time
3 cups cooked pumpkin
250 ml cream
250 ml sugar
250 ml milk
250 ml flour
10 ml baking powder
pinch of salt
115 ml melted butter
- Cook the pumpkin until soft.
- Drain it and press it finely.
- Put the eggs, cream, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Add the pumpkin to the mixture and stir well.
- Spray or grease an oven dish and pour the soft pumpkin mixture into the oven dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 180°C.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (125 ml white sugar and 10 ml fine cinnamon mixed).
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more traditional South African recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Head over to our recipe page for some delicious recipes to try out.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.Internet Explorer Channel Network