Enjoy a traditional favourite with the family. This pap and tripe recipe is one of those recipes passed down from generation to generation. It is very popular and never fails to satisfy.
Tripe pairs excellently with pap and must be served warm for the ultimate enjoyment. If you like your food hot and fiery you can also add some chilli but the beef stock and salt to taste usually create enough taste.
What is tripe? Tripe is the edible lining from the stomachs of a variety of farm animals. Usually, tripe is from cattle, pigs and sheep. Never tasted tripe and wonder what it tastes like? It actually has a somewhat neutral taste but has a very subtle flavour. It also tends to pick up the flavours of accompanying broths and sauces, in the case of this recipe, the beef stock.
Tripe is an excellent source of manganese and niacin. It is also high in protein and contains an astounding amount of vitamin B12, selenium and zinc.
If your family loves traditional food, prepare this pap and tripe recipe for your next gathering.
Pap and tripe recipe
0 from 0 votes Recipe by Asande Mpila Course: MainCuisine: South AfricanDifficulty: Easy Servings
hours Total time
500 ml boiling water
2 cups maize meal
1 kg tripe
1 onion, chopped
2 cubes beef stock
salt to taste
- Pour boiling water into a pot and close the pot with a lid when air bubbles begin to appear.
- Add the maize meal all at once and stir for a minute.
- Close the pot and let it cook on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to steam and serve while hot.
- Clean the tripe thoroughly and chop it into bite-size pieces.
- Add the tripe to a pot and add water to cover the tripe and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat let it simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the onion, stock cubes and salt and allow to simmer for 40 minutes. Stir the pot every 15 minutes.
- Serve with pap enjoy hot.
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more traditional recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have loads of delicious options for you to try out in your kitchen.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.Internet Explorer Channel Network