At least three people were killed and six injured when a 15-year-old gunman opened fire at a high school near Detroit, Michigan on Tuesday.
The dead are all believed to be pupils, and a teacher was thought to be among the injured.
It happened at Oxford High School in Oxford Township, a community of about 22,000 people roughly 30 miles north of Detroit.
Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said the teenage gunman’s motive for the attack was not yet known.
More than 100 calls came in to emergency services starting at 12.55pm local time reporting an active shooter at the school.
Police arrested the suspect at the school and recovered a semi-automatic handgun and ammunition.
Mr McCabe said: “Deputies confronted him, he had the weapon on him, they took him into custody.
“We are still doing a secondary search of the school for any further victims.”
Authorities did not immediately release the names of the suspect or victims.
‘I’m shocked. It’s devastating’
Tim Throne, the superintendent of Oxford Community Schools, said he didn’t yet know the victims’ names or whether their families had been contacted.
He said: “I’m shocked. It’s devastating.”
The school was placed on lockdown after the attack, with some children sheltering in classrooms while officers searched the premises.
They were later taken to a nearby supermarket to be picked up by their parents. Local officials said nearby schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution but were “in no danger”.
According to local reports one of the victims was shot in the face. The shooting happened in a part of the school where many history classes take place, according to local television stations. Police sent emergency units and SWAT teams.
Mr McCabe added: “There was an orderly evacuation, the school did everything right. They barricaded themselves.
“We received over 100 calls to 911. The deputies took a suspect into custody within five minutes.
“They recovered a handgun from the suspect. He fired multiple shots, there are multiple victims.”
Mr McCabe said 15 to 20 shots were fired. He said the suspect had offered no resistance.
The officer added: “He’s already invoked his right not to speak and asked for an attorney. He’s not telling us anything at this time.”
Mr McCabe said the suspected gunman was a pupil at the school.
Sign up to the Front Page newsletter for free: Your essential guide to the day’s agenda from The Telegraph – direct to your inbox seven days a week.Internet Explorer Channel Network