A man has allegedly been recorded raping a woman in Melbourne’s west.
Sexual crime squad detectives recently arrested two men as part of an extensive probe into multiple sexual assaults in the Melton area over the past 12 months.
A 39-year-old Harkness man has now been charged with rape after being arrested last month as part of an investigation into one of the attacks last year.
A police spokeswoman said the matter was reported after a witness became aware the alleged incident had been recorded.
The man remains in custody on remand.
Another man, a 46-year-old from Melton South, was arrested seven days later on August 24.
The man was also charged with rape and is due to face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday for a bail application.
Police raided his home and seized electronic and storage devices, which have been the subject of a significant investigation by both the sexual crimes and cybercrime squads.
As a result, detectives believe they have identified a number of further incidents that are sexual assaults.
“These matters are being investigated and detectives will continue to methodically work through the material to identify any further incidents and the victims involved,” the spokeswoman said.
Police have urged anyone with knowledge of sexual assaults in the Melton area over the past 12 months to come forward.
Anyone with information has been urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.Internet Explorer Channel Network