A majority of people disagree with the government's decision to reopen the country on Nov 1, saying that the time is not yet right for it, according to the result of an opinion survey by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, or Suan Dusit Poll.
The poll was conducted online during Oct 11-14 on 1,329 people throughout the country to gauge their opinions on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s announcement to reopen the country, which has been forced to close by the Covid-19 pandemic, on Nov 1.
A majority, or 60.10%, when asked if it was now the right time for the country to reopen to tourists without quarantine requirements, said “no” while the rest, 39.90%, said “yes.”
Asked whether they agreed with the reopening which has been set for Nov 1, 59.86% said “no” and 40.14% said “yes.”
Asked to mention “factors” required for the reopening, with each respondent allowed to choose more than one answers, 74.78% cited the inoculation of more than 70% of the population with quality vaccines; 69.04% the ability to contain the pandemic; 68.31% readiness in terms of health services, hospitals and medical personnel; 66.03% mandatory testing of people before entering places; and, 65.00% tourist confidence in safety at such facilities as airports, public transport, restaurants and hotels.
Asked to mention “unfavourable conditions” for the reopening, 71.60% said the people have not yet been fully vaccinated; 70.45% the possibility for the Covid-19 to spread further in the country; 66.11% the possibility for tourists to bring in the virus; 61.05% concerns over new Covid-19 variants; and, 55.92% the lack of clear plans to cope with further spreading of the virus.
Asked to mention “benefits” of the reopening of the country, 77.29% cited the revival of the economy; 74.74% the people would have jobs and earn their living; 68.07% the country would generate income from tourism; 64.17% tourism-related businesses would revive; and, 57.80% investors and business operators would regain confidence in the country.
On the “unfavourable effects” of the reopening, 83.43% said Covid-19 cases might again rise; 74.60% the country might again be place in lockdown; 59.55% readiness in terms of health services might be affected; 54.85% cases of illegal border crossings might increase; and, 48.19% the people’s living conditions might be affected.Internet Explorer Channel Network