Another two COVID-related deaths have been recorded in the Illawarra as case numbers in the region continue to rise.
A man from Kiama and a woman from Wollongong were among five deaths confirmed across the New South Wales today.
Their deaths bring the local total to three — a Wollongong woman in her 80s died on Sunday.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the second woman was also aged in her 80s and died in Wollongong Hospital.
“She had received two doses of the COVID vaccine but had underlying health conditions,” Dr Chant said.
“A man in his 70s from Kiama died at Wollongong Hospital and he had received one dose of the COVID vaccine and had underlying health conditions.”
Of 1,035 cases recorded across the state in the latest reporting period, 62 were confirmed in the Illawarra-Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD).
Thirty-four are from the Wollongong local government area (LGA), 20 are from Shellharbour, five are from the Kiama LGA and three are in the Shoalhaven.
Only 24 are linked to previously reported cases.
Dr Chant urged residents in the region to book in for a vaccination and get tested.
“I want to highlight that we are seeing increasing cases in the Illawarra area, in the Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama area,” she said.
“Please come forward and get vaccinated.”
‘High risk’ premises
There were three new cases recorded in the Wingecarribee Shire, bringing the total cases confirmed in the LGA since the beginning of the Delta outbreak to 32.
There were no new cases reported from two apartment buildings under lockdown in Wollongong, but NSW Health officially declared the 35-room Piccadilly Motor Inn on Crown Street a “high risk” premises.
At least three people on the premises have tested positive.
The order, signed by deputy Chief Health Officer Marianne Gale, commenced at 10:30am on Wednesday.
Under the order, the building will remain closed for 14 days.
[Click through to send us your questions about COVID-19]Internet Explorer Channel Network