NEXUS is a “Trusted Traveler” and accelerated border control program for pre-approved, low-risk travelers, allowing them quicker and smoother crossing between the Canada-United States border.
Steps Download Article
Find out if you are eligible. Visit https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html for more information on your eligibility.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of either Canada or the United States for a minimum of 3 years prior to applying. Some Mexican nationals may also be eligible; therefore, see the above website for exceptions and other specifications regarding your individual eligibility.
Gather the required documents. Examples of such documents may include a valid passport, birth certificate, photo ID, etc. See https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html for specifications and differences in required documents for either Canadian or U.S. citizens.
- It is important to ensure your documents are the original and valid copies and are up to date.
Choose the most suitable membership for your needs. In addition to NEXUS (entry between the U.S. and Canada), there are other memberships which allow quicker travels by air, land and sea between additional countries such as Mexico.
- Check out the Trusted Travelers Program or the additional information below for choosing the best membership for your traveling needs.
Complete the NEXUS application. Should you choose the NEXUS membership, applications can be done online through the Trusted Traveler Program with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Pay your membership fee. The NEXUS five-year membership fee is a non-refundable application processing fee of $50 US for any applicant 18 years or older. All applicants under 18 years are eligible at no cost.
- It is important to note that if you are denied a NEXUS membership for any reason, you will not receive your money back.
Schedule your interview. Once your NEXUS application has received conditional approval, you will be contacted to schedule an interview and you must book your interview within 30 days.
- You should be checking your online account through the Trusted Traveler Program for updates on your applications status.
Accept your NEXUS membership. If you are accepted into NEXUS based on your application and interview, the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) and/or U.S. CBP (Customs Border Protection) officer will explain the terms and conditions of NEXUS.
- You will also need to get your picture taken at the end of the interview. This is used to verify your identity when you cross between Canada and the United States.
- Copies of your finger prints will be taken for security purposes.
Obtain your physical NEXUS card. Once you have been approved and your picture has been taken, you should receive your NEXUS membership card by mail within 10 business days.
Activate your NEXUS card. It is important that you activate your card once you receive it in the mail or it will not work when attempting to cross the border. You must activate your NEXUS card online through your Trusted Travelers Program account.
- You will need to have your card handy while activating because you will need the information found on the back of your card.
Update your NEXUS personal information. Any NEXUS member has access to updating minor changes (ie. mailing address or passport information) through their Trusted Travelers Program account.
- Members must report to any Enrollment Centre to update or change more personal information including legal name changes, citizenship documents, student or work visas, etc.
- It is important that all your information is current and up to date as NEXUS may try to contact you regarding any important program changes.
Renew your NEXUS. Your membership with NEXUS is only valid for 5 years; to renew your membership there is a non-refundable processing fee of $50 US for any member over the age of 18.
- It is not necessary for renewing members to attend another interview unless you have made multiple changes to your personal information. You will be informed if an interview is necessary.