Actor Kim Seon-ho / SALT Entertainment
By Park Ji-won
Actor Kim Seon-ho, who shot to stardom in tvN’s romance series, “Start-Up,” followed by “Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha,” indirectly admitted Wednesday that he had forced his ex-girlfriend to have an abortion and apologized.
“I and the person were in a relationship exchanging good feelings. Over the course of the relationship, I hurt her due to my mistakes and inconsiderate actions. I wanted to directly apologize to her in person, but I failed to do so and am waiting for (her),” Kim wrote in a statement released via SALT Entertainment, his agency.
The statement came about three days after an accusation was raised by a user in an online community on Sunday. Claiming to be the ex-girlfriend of a rising star initialed, “K,” the person claimed that she got pregnant while dating the actor last year and was falsely persuaded to have the abortion with the promise that he would marry her afterwards, so that she would acquiesce.
The user wrote that he had even told her that he would need to pay off hundreds of millions of won for violating advertising contracts if she were to decide to have the baby. But after she had the abortion, she said he went back on his promise and broke up with her over the phone.
She didn’t identify the name of Kim, referring to him only as the rising star, “Actor K.” However, after the post went viral online, a growing number of people speculated that Actor K referred to Kim while some YouTubers identified “K” as Kim.
Over those speculations, his agency remained silent for one day but released a statement on Tuesday asking people to have patience until they could determine the truth.
After the accusation went viral, Kim’s scheduled events related to “Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha,” which ended on Oct. 17, were canceled, as well as the interviews of other actors and staff.
Meanwhile, KBS said that the actor, who has been appearing in the reality show, “Two Days and One Night,” will leave the show, and that the scenes featuring him will be edited as much as possible in the upcoming show, which is expected to be aired on Oct. 24.
Also, some of the companies, such as Domino’s and online shopping company 11STREET, which had recruited Kim in advertising campaigns removed images of the actor from their online media accounts.
It is largely expected that his appearances in upcoming film projects, including the romantic comedy, “2 O’Clock Date,” will also be canceled.
Kim also apologized to fans and staff for causing trouble.
“I was able to become actor Kim Seon-ho with the support of these people, but I took it for granted. I am sorry for causing trouble over my work and to the production staff. I apologize to everyone who was hurt by me.”
Below is an English translation of his statement, originally written in Korean.
“This is Kim Seon-ho.
I am deeply sorry for my belated statement. It took some time for me to make this statement as I was afraid to read articles with my name in them (regarding this issue).
I and the person were in a relationship exchanging good feelings. Over the course of the relationship, I hurt her due to my carelessness and inconsiderate actions. I wanted to directly apologize to her in person, but I failed to do so and am waiting for (her).
I would like to sincerely apologize to her with this statement, first. Also, I am sorry for letting down everyone who trusted and supported me so much.
I was able to become actor Kim Seon-ho with the support of these people, but I took it for granted. I am sorry for causing trouble over my work and to the production staff. I apologize to everyone who was hurt by me.
I know this statement may not be accepted by many, but I write to show my sincerity. I am really sorry.”Internet Explorer Channel Network