Every sweet tooth must have a little cube of fudge from time to time. These delightful sweet bites are simply irresistible. If you love a sweet bite, then this recipe is a must-try for you.
Fudge is an easy combination of condensed milk, sugar, golden syrup, butter, vanilla and a little bit of water. The whole process takes place on the stove. Make sure you prepare this recipe when you are able to monitor and stir the pot of sweetness continuously. This recipe requires constant attention.
When it reaches the soft-ball phase, you can remove the pot from the heat. Soft-ball stage basically means that as the syrup cooks, the water boils away and the sugar concentration increases. The temperature will also rise. When you drop a bit of the syrupy mixture into cold water to cool down, it will form a soft ball. Next, pour the mixture into a prepared greased pan and allow it to cool.
Fudge is not only delightful to enjoy at home but an excellent gift for friends and family members. Just wrap it in pretty cellophane or other suitable wrapping material and you have a sweet gift.
5 from 1 vote Recipe by Marele van Zyl Course: SnacksCuisine: South AfricanDifficulty: Easy Prep time
1 can (397 g) condensed milk
500 ml sugar
25 ml golden syrup
75 ml water
60 g butter
5 ml vanilla
- Put the sugar and water into a large heavy saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the butter and syrup and stir until the butter has melted.
- Add the condensed milk and stir until it comes to a boil.
- Boil very slowly, stirring all the time, until soft ball stage.
- Remove from the stove, add the vanilla and beat until it thickens.
- Pour into a greased pan and leave to cool.
- Cut into squares when cold.
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more sweet tooth recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have so many lip-smackingly delicious recipes for you to try out.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.Internet Explorer Channel Network