F1 accused of making ‘short-sighted’ verdict following brutal Andretti rejection

f1 accused of making ‘short-sighted’ verdict following brutal andretti rejection

The F1 logo and Michael Andretti

Formula 1 have been accused of being “short-sighted” after the sport’s commercial wing opted to reject the Andretti family’s bid for a spot on the grid.

Formula One Management emphatically rejected the Andretti bid with a public statement last month that suggested they would not bring a commercial or sporting benefit to the grid.

The move brought the wrath of the fans, who are largely in support of Andretti’s arrival, as well as the FIA who green lit the move in 2023.

F1 accused of ‘short-sighted’ Andretti rejection

F1 did leave the door open, suggesting Andretti may be more welcome once partners General Motors create an engine in 2028 but, for now, the racing family who has been working on getting a spot for several years will be forced to watch from the sidelines.

That decision has been criticised by former F1 driver Johnny Herbert who said it was “short-sighted.”

“I think they should [have been let in],” Herbert said when asked about Andretti by PlanetF1.com. “Because I think it adds to the F1 grid just because we have the name of Andretti.

“Secondly, there are another two cars on the grid and thirdly it gives other drivers an opportunity to be on that grid as well.

“There’s always the argument that seems to be about, well what do they bring? Will they bring more money, effectively, to the party? I think with the three races in the States, that’s obviously a positive thing.

“The name is another one that I think is very good for Formula 1. Going to Mario but even with Michael himself. I find it difficult to understand why it wasn’t allowed on.

“I know, there was the argument definitely on the money side of things, taking a little bit out of the pie, but everybody has. Personally I think it was a bit short sighted.”

PlanetF1.com recommends

F1 did not just reject Andretti’s bid…they tore it to absolute pieces

The full 1434-word statement as F1 explain why Andretti bid was rejected

One common criticism thrown at Andretti is they will not bring value to the sport, but Herbert said that is something previous new entrants have not been judged on.

“I think it would bring more. Haas is the one that you would say well what do they bring? But that’s all accepted, that’s all part of it and rightly so, they should be accepted.

“There is always going to be the best team and there is always going to be the worst team. Doesn’t matter how you put it.

“Even if all these cars were F2s painted like Formula 1, you’d still have the best team and you’d still have the slowest team. So I think it would just add another dimension to the grid, just because there are more cars on the grid, it looks better.

“And I think the show will only benefit from that. For whatever people think that it won’t help, the name is a positive thing for Formula 1 so I hope it does happen down the line, I hope there isn’t going to be something where they give up and they don’t try to get in after ’26.”

The interview with Johnny Herbert was arranged courtesy of Grosvenor Sport.

News Related

OTHER NEWS

Jimmy Carter and all living former first ladies to attend Rosalynn Carter’s memorial service

Former President Jimmy Carter is expected to attend the Tuesday memorial service for his late wife, Rosalynn Carter, in Atlanta, his grandson told CNN – a tribute that will also be ... Read more »

Rob Reiner to Film ‘This Is Spinal Tap' Sequel in February, Says Paul McCartney and Elton John Will Appear

Rob Reiner to Film ‘This Is Spinal Tap’ Sequel in February, Says Paul McCartney and Elton John Will Appear Forty years after making his directorial debut with the 1984 cult ... Read more »

Best Buy's Biggest Cyber Monday Deals on Samsung TVs, Sony Headphones, and Dyson Vacuums

Plus laptops and more last-minute deals you don’t want to miss People / Jaclyn Mastropasqua We have reached Cyber Monday is officially here, and there are loads of great deals ... Read more »

The Joffre Lakes surge returns north of Pemberton

The Joffre Lakes surge is back, much to the dismay of Pemberton and Mount Currie locals. Video footage shared with Pique shows a long line of cars illegally parked on ... Read more »

Activists calling for Gaza ceasefire begin hunger strike outside White House

Photograph: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images Leftwing activists including the actor Cynthia Nixon, famous for her role in Sex and the City, have begun a hunger strike outside the White House aimed ... Read more »

We just got a first look at McDonald's secretive new spinoff restaurant CosMc's

A construction site in Bolingbrook, Illinois, presumed to be the first location of CosMc’s. Scott Fredrickson McDonald’s has been reluctant to share many details about its planned new restaurant concept ... Read more »

Conor McGregor’s The Black Forge posts more than $2 million in losses since 2021 opening

Conor McGregor’s The Black Forge posts more than $2 million in losses since 2021 opening Conor McGregor made around a $2 million investment when he purchased the Dublin bar he ... Read more »
Top List in the World