Japanese-style Bone-in Chicken Curry
Ingredients5 large chicken legs (1.2kg), cut into four pieces each 2 Tbs mirin 3 Tbs cooking sake 1 Tbs olive oil 1 yellow onion (150g), diced
10g ginger, smashed
2 medium-sized carrots (380g), roll-cut into bite-sized pieces
2 red-skinned potatoes (380g), roll-cut into bite-sized pieces
8 Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
1.2 litres chicken stock (homemade, unsalted)
1 apple (300g), peeled, cored and grated
Golden Curry Japanese Curry Mix Medium Hot (137.5g) 1 brick and ¼ of the second brick
Java Curry Sauce Mix Medium Spicy (92.7g) 1 brick
1. Wash the chicken and drain dry.
2. Place the chicken in a deep dish and add mirin and cooking sake. Mix well. Clingwrap and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least two hours. Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
3. Heat olive oil in non-stick pot.
4. Add diced onion and fry over medium heat.
5. Once the onion begins to brown, add the chicken pieces and ginger. Fry until the chicken is browned.
6. Add the carrots and potatoes.
7. Add 1.2 litres of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Allow to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
8. Add the grated apple and curry bricks. Stir and make sure the bricks are dissolved.
9. Bring to a simmer and cook for another eight minutes. Add the mushroom and bring to a simmer.
10. Cover, turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cook in residual heat for another 40 minutes.
11. Reheat just before serving.
Japanese Steamed Rice
2 rice cups of Japanese short-grained rice
2¼ rice cups water
4cm piece of dried kombu
1. Wash and rinse the rice until water runs clear.
2. Place rice, water and kombu in rice cooker pot.
3. Set on slow cook and press cook.
4. Keep warm until ready to serve.