Heritage Day is on 24 September and many people are gearing up for a family braai. This braaibroodjies recipe will make your braai even better than before.
Although there are many ways to prepare this delightful braai side dish, this recipe also shares a tip or two to make your braaibroodjies just perfect. Make sure to butter the bread on both sides to get that appetising, crisp golden crust.
A great tip is to prepare more than one portion per person as they are so delicious that some hungry tummies may have space for two! Also, if you have any leftovers, nothing stops you from enjoying them the following day.
So, as you are getting ready for Heritage Day this weekend, make sure you get the necessary ingredients to spice up your public holiday with these crunchy, delicious sandwiches.
0 from 0 votes Recipe by Marele van Zyl Course: SidesCuisine: South AfricanDifficulty: Easy Servings
8 slices white bread
1 large onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
optional sauces like chutney or mayonnaise
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices (butter on the outside of the sandwiches will ensure a crisp, golden crust).
- Placing tomato and onion slices on half of the slices, season with salt and pepper or with a seasoning of your taste, and top with cheese.
- Add optional sauces such as mayonnaise and chutney.
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
- Coat a clean grid lightly with Spray and Cook or cooking oil, place the sandwiches inside a barbeque’s grid and slowly toast them until they are golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy before they cool down.
Did you make this recipe?
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more easy Heritage Day recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have so many delightful recipes to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.Internet Explorer Channel Network