AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
Ranging from weather reports, through video editing, and on to games, Apple has announced the 15 winners of its annual App Store Awards.
“The developers who won App Store Awards in 2021 harnessed their own drive and vision to deliver the best apps and games of the year,” said CEO Tim Cook in a statement. “[They are] sparking the creativity and passion of millions of users around the world.”
“From self-taught indie coders to inspiring leaders building global businesses,” he continued, “these standout developers innovated with Apple technology, with many helping to foster the profound sense of togetherness we needed this year.”
- iPhone App of the Year: Toca Life World, from Toca Boca
- iPad App of the Year: LumaFusion, from LumaTouch
- Mac App of the Year: Craft, from Luki Labs Limited
- Apple TV App of the Year: DAZN, from DAZN Group
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Carrot Weather, from Grailr
Apple has also singled out a series of games across the devices — except the Apple Watch — and Apple Arcade.
- iPhone Game of the Year: “League of Legends: Wild Rift,” from Riot Games
- iPad Game of the Year: “MARVEL Future Revolution,” from Netmarble Corporation
- Mac Game of the Year: “Myst,” from Cyan
- Apple TV Game of the Year: “Space Marshals 3,” from Pixelbite
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: “Fantasian,” from Mistwalker
Trend of the Year
Separately, Apple has sought to “identify a movement that had lasting impact on people’s lives,” and then acknowledge those “standout apps and games that met that moment.”
For 2021, Apple says the top trend is “Connection.” The five apps, which range across Apple devices, honored in this special category are:
- “Among Us!” from Innersloth
- “Bumble,” from Bumble Inc.
- Canva, from Canva
- EatOkra, from Anthony Edwards Jr., and Janique Edwards
- Peanut, from Peanut App Limited
“To acknowledge the impact of the winning developer teams, last year,” said Apple, “Apple designers began a tradition of celebration through meticulous craftsmanship with physical App Store awards for each winner.”
“Inspired by the signature blue App Store icon,” it continued, “each award reveals the App Store logo set into the 100 percent recycled aluminum used to make Apple products, with the name of the winner engraved on the other side.”
Apple has not announced a date for when the winners will receive their awards. However, in 2020, developers began receiving their trophies within a week of the announcement.Internet Explorer Channel Network