Authorities are anxiously awaiting coronavirus tests that will show if a Victorian couple who went on an interstate road trip infected anyone in Queensland.
Queensland Health has identified 17 close contacts of the couple, but so far only has results for three of them.
They've been negative, including the infected woman's parents, with whom the couple stayed at Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast.
In total about 400 people have been forced into isolation and are getting tested as a result of the couple's arrival on Saturday after a road trip from Melton in Melbourne, through NSW and into Queensland.
They are known to have visited sites in Goondiwindi, Toowoomba and the southern Sunshine Coast.
A temporary, walk-in vaccination hub at the Caloundra Indoor Stadium will open its doors this weekend in response to the threat. It'll be open seven days a week until June 23.
“We are expecting to vaccinate about 1000 people each day via this new facility. Because of the new COVID cases this facility will be accepting walk-ins,” Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young has expressed some optimism that community transmission might be avoided after serology tests showed the couple were in the late stages of their infections.
“That means the risk of transmission to anyone else is less,” she said on Thursday.
Authorities say anyone with symptoms, no matter how minor, must get tested as contact tracers continue their work.
Victorian authorities have revealed the couple left the state on June 1, when greater Melbourne was in a snap lockdown to control community transmission.
They were relocating permanently to Queensland so the husband could take up a new job.
Acting Victorian Premier James Merlino has said the couple did not breach any state restrictions by leaving, and moving interstate is allowed during lockdowns.
Dr Young has said the couple didn't apply for a travel exemption to enter Queensland and it's up to police to investigate whether they came through under any other process.
The couple's trip has also sparked health alerts in NSW, where they visited at least 10 sites in the NSW towns of Narrandera, Forbes, Dubbo and Moree.
At the time they travelled through NSW, stay-at-home orders were in place for travellers who'd been in Melbourne.
Victorian authorities are still trying to work out how the couple became infected, but one of them visited Melbourne's Craigieburn Central shopping centre on May 23.
The current outbreak in Victoria includes nine cases who visited that shopping centre.