Method 1 of 8: Be upfront about why you’re asking.
- “Hey Vic! I hate to ask, but I’m in a bind. My energy bill is due Friday and I don’t get paid until the 30th.”
- “Hi Uncle Phil! I didn’t budget enough money this month for my textbooks and school starts next week. Can you help me out?”
- “Lukas! So this is so embarrassing—I just finished eating at a restaurant and when I went to pay, I realized I left my wallet at home. Can you Venmo a few bucks?”
Method 2 of 8: Specify how much money you need.
- “My rent this month is $875 and I’m $200 short.”
- “I just need $20 to cover this meal and I’m good!”
- “The cashier said the total for my textbooks is $134.24.”
Method 3 of 8: Tell them when you need the money.
- “Rent is due on the 1st, so I’d need the money in 2 weeks.”
- “The due date on my bill is October 24th. Can you get me the money by then?”
- “This is urgent tbh—the waiter is literally asking me to pay the tab right now lol.”
Method 4 of 8: Suggest how to send you the money.
- “Can you Venmo the money now? Or give your CC to the cashier? She’s standing right here.”
- “Would you mind making the check out to Gaslight Square Apartments? That way, you can mail it directly to my landlord.”
- “I can drop by and grab a $20 bill if you aren’t busy. I appreciate it!”
Method 5 of 8: Note when you’ll pay them back.
- “I get paid next Friday, so I can repay the $200 on that day.”
- “I can’t repay the full $1,000 in a lump sum, but I can do $100 every month until my debt is paid off.”
- “Venmo the cash now and I’ll pay for your meal when we go to dinner this Sunday!”
Method 6 of 8: Put it in writing if you’re asking for a large sum.
- “I get paid every other Friday, so I can send you $100 via PayPal every time I get paid. I’ll pay the first installment next Friday. If we stay on that schedule, you’ll be repaid in full by Feb 24. Does that work?”
- Since you’re requesting money via text, tell them you’ll email the document to them in a few minutes. They can look it over and agree before sending money.
Method 7 of 8: Drop some hints first if they owe you money.
- “I can’t come out to the club tonight, tbh. I’m totally broke.”
- “My rent is due next week and I’m short. What should I do?”
Method 8 of 8: Be calm and direct if you need to be paid immediately.
Explaining the urgency can soften the request a bit. Even if you’re super annoyed with your friend at this point, demanding “I need that $50 you owe me and I need it now!” is probably not the best way to go. Try a calmer approach so your friend feels sympathetic to your situation. For example:
- “I’m sorry to ask, but I really need the $50 you owe me so I can pay my CC bill. It’s due in a week…”
- “Can you help ya girl out? My car note is due on Friday and I’m short. If you can repay that $100 you owe, I’ll be able to pay my note on time. :)”
- To be direct without actually having to confront them, send them a money request via PayPal. That might do the trick!