Happy Saturday, people of Grand Rapids! Let’s get you all caught up to start today off on an informed note.
First, today’s weather:
Partial sunshine. High: 54 Low: 35.
Here are the top stories in Grand Rapids today:
- At the third public hearing since Michigan’s redistricting commission put forward draft political maps, commenters had a lot to say about a proposed Congressional configuration that would create a new district out of two prominent West Michigan cities. The commission’s “Apple” Congressional draft map would create a shoreline-hugging district and would also loop the cities of Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, both Democratic-leaning, into the same Congressional district. (MLive.com)
- The world-class Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center returns to perform in front of their first live audience at St. Cecilia Music Center (SCMC) since early 2020. In their 10th anniversary season of partnership with SCMC, Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center Artistic Directors David Finckel and Wu Han will appear with world-renowned violinist Arnaud Sussmann and violist Paul Neubauer. (The Rapidian)
- Grand Rapids Community College is hosting a community COVID-19 vaccine clinic where booster shots will be available for those who are eligible. The clinic is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 27, at the Wisner-Bottrall Applied Technology Center auditorium. (MLive.com)
- The victim of a Tuesday night shooting has been identified by her family as 20-year-old Kendall Frost, of Grand Rapids. The shooting happened around 8 p.m. Tuesday in the area of Paris Avenue SE and Griggs Street SE. When officers arrived at the scene, they located a woman with an apparent gunshot wound. (WZZM)
Today in Grand Rapids:
- The Contenders in Concert (8:00 AM)
- Millennium Park Annual Native Prairie Seed Harvesting Event (10:00 AM)
- Girl Scout Tree Promise – Millennium (10:00 AM)
- Composting Workshop – Creston Neighborhood Association (10:00 AM)
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day (10:00 AM)
- Free Event to learn about your Medicare plan options! (10:00 AM)
- Rain Barrel Workshop – Mary Free Bed YMCA (12:00 PM)
Feature your local business right here for just $79 a month. Click here to learn more.
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Saturday! I’ll see you around. If you’re feeling these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Miranda Fraraccio
About me: Miranda Fraraccio is a born and raised Rhode Islander. She works as a freelance copywriter for content creation agency Lightning Media Partners and as an assistant producer for a live-lit storytelling show in Chicago. She holds a degree in Writing & Rhetoric and Communication Studies from The University of Rhode Island. In her free time, you can find her traveling, hiking, or photographing her neighborhood as a street photographer.Internet Explorer Channel Network